Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Layer 2 vs Layer 3

We are looking at purchasing a new switch. What I am wondering is I want to buy a layer 3 switch, but only use it as a layer 2 switch for the time being. I want the option of using layer 3 functionality later, should we see the need. This way the equipment is in place and we don't have to purchase anything new in the middle of a budget year.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Layer 2 vs Layer 3

Depending on your budget and requirements, there are a lot of options in the Cisco product portfolio. The lowest model of switch with Layer-3 capability is Catalyst 3560. Out-of-the-box, these series support basic Layer-3 (static routing and RIP), or you can upgrade the s/w to enhanced layer-3 (EIGRP, OSPF, BGP).

My suggestion is to go straight to enhanced layer-3 model of switches, and disable ip routing. That way, it provides you with the flexibility of migrating to layer-3 later on, using any routing protocols you want.

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Jeremy,

You should be able to use a L3 switch as L2 switch. If you want to disable routing, just type 'no ip routing' on the config.

Cisco Employee

Hi Jeremy,

Bydefault on all layer 3 switches routing is disable. So if you buy any switch layer 3 switch like 3550,3560 and 3750 routing is disabled and it worls like a layer 2 switch.

By default, the switch is in Layer 2 switching mode and IP routing is disabled.

So if you waan a routing to be enabled you need to specifically enable "ip routing" on global config mode.

Regards,

Ankur

Depending on your budget and requirements, there are a lot of options in the Cisco product portfolio. The lowest model of switch with Layer-3 capability is Catalyst 3560. Out-of-the-box, these series support basic Layer-3 (static routing and RIP), or you can upgrade the s/w to enhanced layer-3 (EIGRP, OSPF, BGP).

My suggestion is to go straight to enhanced layer-3 model of switches, and disable ip routing. That way, it provides you with the flexibility of migrating to layer-3 later on, using any routing protocols you want.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content