cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 routing between two 4506-l3 switches

tlebouef
Level 1
Level 1

Not shure how to proceed. Currently I am segmenting a network that was 172.16.0.xx/20 by using segments 172.16.10.xx/24 and 172.16.16.xx/24 and so forth shrinking the 172.16.0.xx/20 as I go.

I have converted the Olinger location (see attached) but I am not sure how to proceed with the next step. Newman that is another 4506-l3 switch. I have a small switch between and several miles of fibre.

Question: Do I created a segment between the two switches say 172.16.17.xx/24 and assign the IP addresses and that would be fine. Or is there another way ?

Just need some feedback. Again see attachment for clarity.

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can set the fiber link between the two locations on Vlan 17 on eithre 4506 switch and configure Vlan 17 interface on each switch with ip addreses as .250 and .5 respectively. You will need static routes created (or dynamic routing protocol) so that switches at either end knows how to reach 172.16.10.0, 172.16.16.0 and 172.16.17.0.

Or else keep the link between two switches as a trunk link (layer 2) and create vlan 17 on either sides and trunk that vlan 17 across the fiber link. On the Layer 3 module on the switch, create vlan 17 interface with the respective address (.250 and .5).

You will still need some kind of static or dynamic routing so that each switch knows how to get to the respective networks.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Logicly what is the distinction ?

I still have to create a vlan database entry for the vlan 17 on both switches then create a interface vlan 17 entry on both switches and trunk the two fibre interfaces between the two. Then configure the 2950g for vlan 17 segment (172.16.17.9).Then introduce a routing process for distribution.

I guess I am having trouble understanding the layer 2

possibility.

The difference between the two configurations is that the first solution creates a totally routable interface between the two switches.

The second solution is not absolutely required, but if you have a trunk link already setup which trunks all vlans between the two switches, you dont have to change any thing, except for creating the vlan 17 on either sides and configuring those interfaces with the ip addresses.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

When you say the interface, the vlan interface or the actual interface fibre trunk interface ?

I did mean vlan interface.

PS: Just ignore solution 2, solution will work just fine.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Ok thanks for your time its a great help just to bounce it off someone.

Cheers,

Troy

In my previous post, I really meant, Solution 1 should work just fine. I missed adding "Solution 1" in that post.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW