Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 Routing on Catalyst 4006 switches

nsravi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two catalyst 4006 switches with Sup2 and Layer 3 module in each switch.

I have configured the following vlans on two switches as follows.

Switch 1:

Vlan 1: 10.1.1.0/24

Vlan 2: 10.1.2.0/24

Vlan 3: 10.1.3.0/24

Switch 2:

Vlan 4: 10.1.4.0/24

Vlan 5: 10.1.5.0/24

Vlan 6: 10.1.6.0/24

Both switch 1 and switch 2 are connected on the gigabit uplink ports on sup2 engine. We have enabled trunking on these ports to carry vlans.

We have enabled layer 3 routing on both the switches(port channel configuration has been enabled on both switches).

Vlan 1, 2 and 3 users can talk between vlans, Vlan 4,5 and 6 users can talk between vlans.

For example vlan 4(sw 2) and vlan 2(sw 1) users cannot talk to each other. Should we configure a native vlan 1 on both the switches and enable Layer 3 on both the switches with same port-channel ip address to enable vlan 4 to talk to vlan 2.

Pls let me know how to proceed.

Regards,

N.S.Ravishankar

2 Replies 2

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to configure a routing protocol between the 2 switches to exchange the routing information. In addition, the routers must at least have one common subnet.

sconnolly
Level 1
Level 1

You could also configure all 6 VLANs on each switch, and use HSRP to provide redundancy. You could still adjust the priority on the two switches so that each switch is responsible for 3 vlans.

With this config, if you lose one of your Layer 3 blades, the other switch will pick up the load.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: