cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Layer 3 Routing on Catalyst 4006 switches

Hi,

I have two catalyst 4006 switches with Sup2 and Layer 3 module in each switch.

I have configured the following vlans on two switches as follows.

Switch 1:

Vlan 1: 10.1.1.0/24

Vlan 2: 10.1.2.0/24

Vlan 3: 10.1.3.0/24

Switch 2:

Vlan 4: 10.1.4.0/24

Vlan 5: 10.1.5.0/24

Vlan 6: 10.1.6.0/24

Both switch 1 and switch 2 are connected on the gigabit uplink ports on sup2 engine. We have enabled trunking on these ports to carry vlans.

We have enabled layer 3 routing on both the switches(port channel configuration has been enabled on both switches).

Vlan 1, 2 and 3 users can talk between vlans, Vlan 4,5 and 6 users can talk between vlans.

For example vlan 4(sw 2) and vlan 2(sw 1) users cannot talk to each other. Should we configure a native vlan 1 on both the switches and enable Layer 3 on both the switches with same port-channel ip address to enable vlan 4 to talk to vlan 2.

Pls let me know how to proceed.

Regards,

N.S.Ravishankar

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Layer 3 Routing on Catalyst 4006 switches

You need to configure a routing protocol between the 2 switches to exchange the routing information. In addition, the routers must at least have one common subnet.

Re: Layer 3 Routing on Catalyst 4006 switches

You could also configure all 6 VLANs on each switch, and use HSRP to provide redundancy. You could still adjust the priority on the two switches so that each switch is responsible for 3 vlans.

With this config, if you lose one of your Layer 3 blades, the other switch will pick up the load.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content