Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Layer 3 Switching

What is the smallest (the cheapest) catalyst that support layer 3 swithcing?

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
6 REPLIES

Re: Layer 3 Switching

The 4000 series switches are probably your best bet. They are available in both fixed and modular configurations.

Yes, I'm currently looking at a c4006 with a Layer 3 Module.

I'm after a flexible chassis that will allow different Layer3 IP/IPX VLANs to all ports.

I don't think you can do it without the Layer 3 blade - unless your trunking to another router/layer 3 switch or rsm?

I had the same question fairly recently. I came up with the 3550 (for the fact that it has 10 GBIC ports). Otherwise the 2948 if you are looking for a Layer 3 switch with more than a dozen ports...

Cat2948-L3 or WS-C3550-12T

The Catalyst 4000 supports L3 switching externally, that is you need another L3 switch (e.g. 6000) to point it to.

The 4000 has a "L3 Module," but this is for InterVLAN routing, not L3 switching and they are not the same. Essentially, the module for the 4000 is a router on a blade with 32 10/100 ports. The two gigabit ports on this blade are router ports, not trunk ports, btw.

give a look into the Sup III - with 4006, which is integrating the routing blade of L3 into the Sup - BUT no 32 ports that you had on the L3. Also, you get to save some $$ and a slot.

Ramesh Ramasamy.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.