cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 Switching

rsimamora
Level 1
Level 1

What is the smallest (the cheapest) catalyst that support layer 3 swithcing?

6 Replies 6

kspinks
Level 1
Level 1

The 4000 series switches are probably your best bet. They are available in both fixed and modular configurations.

Yes, I'm currently looking at a c4006 with a Layer 3 Module.

I'm after a flexible chassis that will allow different Layer3 IP/IPX VLANs to all ports.

I don't think you can do it without the Layer 3 blade - unless your trunking to another router/layer 3 switch or rsm?

I had the same question fairly recently. I came up with the 3550 (for the fact that it has 10 GBIC ports). Otherwise the 2948 if you are looking for a Layer 3 switch with more than a dozen ports...

wukunpeng
Level 1
Level 1

Cat2948-L3 or WS-C3550-12T

rmaerz
Level 1
Level 1

The Catalyst 4000 supports L3 switching externally, that is you need another L3 switch (e.g. 6000) to point it to.

The 4000 has a "L3 Module," but this is for InterVLAN routing, not L3 switching and they are not the same. Essentially, the module for the 4000 is a router on a blade with 32 10/100 ports. The two gigabit ports on this blade are router ports, not trunk ports, btw.

rramasamy
Level 1
Level 1

give a look into the Sup III - with 4006, which is integrating the routing blade of L3 into the Sup - BUT no 32 ports that you had on the L3. Also, you get to save some $$ and a slot.

Ramesh Ramasamy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco