Views
Helpful
Replies

layer 4 switch

prekursor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

If I deploy network with layer 4 switches would I need a router?

3 Replies 3

marl.beynon
Level 1
Level 1

i would say it depends on what conectivity you want. Any WAN access requirements will probably need a router with WAN modules, but other than that, we have a number of sites with just multi layer switches performing all routing.

also worth considering the image on the switches and whether you want the advanced routing features.

hope helps

...but without the router how can I configure subnets? does the switch has the same capabilities?

Pretty much the multi layer switch acts the same as a router would, just you need to create logical interfaces for it to route between....

configure vlans on the switches and treat each vlan as a subnet. assign the ports to the correct vlan for the pc. For the vlans you want to be able to route between, create a logical vlan interface (int vlan 2 etc) on the switch/switches that you wish to act as routers and assign that interface an ip address in that subnet. turn on 'ip routing' on the switch/switches and they will now route as needed. set the defualt gateways for each subnet as the respective vlan interface on the switch/switches.

set up HSRP, EIGRP etc as you would on any router.

hope this helps