Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Layer 4 Switch

Hi

While I was reading Layer 4 switch manual, I was confused the difference between Virtual IP and virtual interface redundancy and VLAN.

It looks almost same to me. Let's say interface A and B

Virtual IP

Int A and Int B have their own IP and Virtual IP

Virtual Interface Redundancy

Int A and Int B have their own IP and Redundant Interface IP address

VLAN

Set up VLAN 1 with one IP address then assgin Int A and Int B to VLAN 1 which means Int A and B will have the same IP address

Can anybody please tell me what is the difference?

Thanks

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Layer 4 Switch

What is the switch in question? I don't know what "virtual interface redundancy" is supposed to mean either. A virtual IP address generally refers to the use of either HSRP or VRRP, both of which are high-availability protocols that have the concept of a virtual IP address. You can search Cisco's site for more information.

A VLAN interface isn't related to redundancy. They're typically used on layer-3 switches to act as virtual layer-3 interfaces. You assign an IP to the VLAN interface and it acts as a default gateway to devices attached to ports in that VLAN. Then the traffic is routed as necessary. In Cisco-speak they're referred to as switched virtual interfaces (SVI's).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content