Views
Helpful
Replies

Line protocol down

jhiers
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am having a problem with a Catalyst 2950 switch. What happens is that a port will work fine for a period of time, and then stop. When I display the details on the interface I see that the port is up but the line protocol is down. What I do is shut the port down with the shutdown command, disconnect the cable from the port, wait a few minutes, issue the no shut command, plug the cable back into the port, and it works. It has happened to a few ports on the switch. Does anyone know what this problem may be related to?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What kind if interface is it? Also what software version. try the latest 12.1(11)EA1

thanks for the reply. It is a fastethernet port. I have the 12.1(6)EA2 release.

I have upgraded the software to the latest version, and one of the same ports that I have been having trouble with has worked up until today. Today it did the same thing. Any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Use "show interface" command and observe the counters. See if there is any input or output error, if there is excessive error, there may be hardware problem or cable problem. Or you can exam the speed of the port of other end, if both port is set to auto speed, try to set fix speed. Hope that can help you.

Teru Lei