cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Line Protocol Down

scschewep
Level 1
Level 1

I've a rather simple but puzzled problem. I've a setup of CISCO 2955, linking up to a media converter (UTP to fiber) then to remote end another media converter UTP link directly to a PC.

With this setup, I received Line Protocol down. I understand that the duplex mode & speed need to be fixed but I have similiar setup from other sites that works!

Can anyone help me on this?

(I've confirm physical cabling is alright)

Can anyone tell me what are the possiblities that a "line protocol down" state will occur?

Thanks for your attention...

9 Replies 9

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The fact that the line protocol is down means that you are not seeing keepalives from the other end.

This must mean that there isn't full connecvitity from end to end. Since you have multiple segments in the middle, I suggest that you re-check your cabling/converters.

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

As I've mention in the beginning. Physical layer is & confirmed in working order.

I've also verified that the pair of media-converters that I'm using are in good condition.

With that, comes data-link layer that fails. It seems that the only difference I've for this setup with others (working) is the end PC which is running Windows XP Client.

If you plug the cable into another device, does the link come up ?

Paresh

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

You may need a cross-over cable on the UTP side of the link. Have you tried that?

Please rate all helpful posts.

Regards,

Brad

Hi Pkhatri & Bhedlund,

thanks for your replies.

I've setup this configuration for a few sites over at my customer LAN.

I've tested the CISCO 2955 switch to be working for all ports. Media-converters connection down to end station connection, the fiber & the UTP cables used had been tested working.

Strangely, this is the only site that have a "link protocol down". BTW, any URL that I can find all the possibility causes to a line protocol down?

Thanks!

Hi,

I don't find any reason in cisco 2950 side with the belief that you might have repeated the same config that u used in other sites. So u may try to connect one laptop or pc (preferably other pc) directly to that port without any media converter and thn on the other side. I think it could have been due to LAN settings in the PC. So try with some other PC to see whether it makes any difference.

Rate if it does,

Regards,

Balaji

Hi Balaji,

I'd already tried connecting my workable notebook to the remote end, inclusive of my customer's notebook. All giving the same result.

That's why it puzzles me to this extend =(

Hi,

Did u tried the same by directly connecting pc in the local end????? If possible could u paste config in that port????

Rgs

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mate,

Actually the reason of such problem could be one of 2 :-

1- there a miss connction type.

2- there is missmatch encapsulation type.

So, In this case & since u are not connecting 2 layer 3 interfaces 2 make sure a bout the encapsulation issue, I would say it should be a miss connection type.

pls, try to connect to ur pc with xover cable, and if u connect directly to Switch use straight through cable.but for ur own test take anotebook & try do the above and test the connectivity, hope it will work.

pls rate the post if it helps.

Mohamed