Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Line vty 0 4 question..

Hi,

I have a question here regarding about line vty 0 4 in the router configuration..

What i am trying to achieve is..i would like to telnet to the router from an ip(10.x.x.x) , and ssh from the other IP (10.x.x.y), how can I do it?

thanks..

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Line vty 0 4 question..

If your router B is running a crypto image, you can initiate a SSH session from router B to router A during disaster.

routerb#ssh -l

or as stated in earlier posts use ACL's on the telnet lines and restrict access from particular machines.

HTH

Narayan

5 REPLIES

Why not just SSH? Telnet is insecure and should be disabled. If you really want to, you could do it with ACLs on the interface closest to the clients, but that is messy and should be avoided.

Hello,

for telnet you have to configure line vty on your router,

enable secret cisco

line vty 0 4

password cisco

login

make sure that your workstation and the interface you want telnet is on same subnet as 10.x.x.x and you can ping to router interface.

regards

dhaval tandel

Thanks for the reply,guys..

current setting is using "transport input ssh" with is SSH from a monitoring machine.

But come DR - disaster recovery, where the router A will be connected to another router B,would like to do a "telnet" session from the remote router B,therefore exploring the telnet method.

This is for management purpose during DR.

WIth ACL's you could do it, but that's the only way to restrict telnet (and allow ssh). You could spend the extra $ and get a crypto image that has an SSH client.

If your router B is running a crypto image, you can initiate a SSH session from router B to router A during disaster.

routerb#ssh -l

or as stated in earlier posts use ACL's on the telnet lines and restrict access from particular machines.

HTH

Narayan

Views
Helpful
Replies