Views
Helpful
Replies

Link OK, but no ping response

right_guy12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I am not sure if I should ask a question about D-link switches here... Anyway I have an unmanaged DES-3250TG D-link switch. From the last few weeks I have come across a particular problem with machines connected to that switch. The link is shown OK on the switch as well as on the machine, but when you try to ping the gateway or any other machine in the same subnet range, it doesnt happen.

Thanking in anticipation...

5 Replies 5

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

it could be that the port is assigned to another VLAN than the default gateway or the other hosts.

Make sure all of them are in the same VLAN.

Make sure, the IP address and network mask in your machines are set consistently.

You can also check on your PC with "arp -a" whether there are arp entries for the default gateway.

Be aware that a personal firewall could also prevent you from successfully pinging other IPs.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Hi! Martin

Thanks for replying.

As I said that switch is completely unmanaged. No configuration has been done on that switch,none at all, you can say that it is acting as a 'hub'. There are no VLANs on that switch. Also no firewalls are being used on the machines.

I think the ports on the switches have gone bad coz they show the link is up, but when you ping there is no response. Whatsay?

Hello,

this is one possible explanation. you could check it by swapping out the switch for a hub for testing purposes.

One more thing you could check is speed settings on the ports and machines. Better not rely on auto negotiation.

Did the switch work before in the setup used now? What has changed (power outages, cabling, etc.)?

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Hi! Martin,

I have to check the speed settings, thats the thing am gonna do. Access to data center during business hours is restricted, so would do it later on.

I am gonna swap the switch with another one, so that will prove my point of the ports going bad.

The switch was working fine until now, but it has now gradually started giving the problem I described. Nothing has changed. Absolutely nothing!

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

If the switch is unmanaged then you have to use auto negotiation , thats all unmanaged switches know , other wise the only valid hard setting would 10 or 100 half duplex .