cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Link-State Tracking?

dtecco
Level 1
Level 1

Attached is a diagram of my fabric I will be deploying (data center environment). The access switches are 2960G (24port), and the distribution switches are 2960G (48port). A total of 18 access switches will be used.

I will be using Rapid PVST+ throughout the fabric. With that in mind, is it necessary to implement link-state tracking on the access switches as well? I am having difficulty finding out if Cisco recommends link-state tracking for performance improvment, or if it is absolutely necessary in my environment.

What exactly are the pros/cons of enabling link-state tracking on my access switches?

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

Link state tracking, also known as trunk failover, provides Layer 2 redundancy in the network when used in conjunction with server network interface card (NIC) adapter teaming. Link-state tracking is used to mirror the state of the ports that carry upstream traffic from connected hosts and servers, and to allow the failover of the server traffic to an operational link on another Cisco Ethernet switch. Check out the following link for more information on link state tracking :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6406/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00805a75e0.html#wp1285238

Hope this helps.