cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

link up/down messages don't go to buffer log,why?

riccardo_romani
Level 1
Level 1

hi all in various switches 6509 series with IOS i have set "logging buffer 16384 debugging" under interface no particular command but i don't view with "sh log" if an interface goes down.

could anyone help me to understand the reason the messages don't log? thanks in advance.

bye Riccardo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Ricardo,

by default, interface state-change messages are not sent. Try and configure the command:

logging event link-status

either globally or on your interface(s), this should get the messages in the buffer log.

HTH,

GP

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello Ricardo,

by default, interface state-change messages are not sent. Try and configure the command:

logging event link-status

either globally or on your interface(s), this should get the messages in the buffer log.

HTH,

GP

thanks and your suggestion solved my problem , really it is not so clear how are set the default about this messages in order to view them in buffer log ; in others our switches by default the messages appears on buffers without specify the command "logging event link-status".Do you know the reasons?

bye and thanks again

Riccardo

Hello Riccardo,

the default for this command is apparently IOS version related. The older versions seem to have it enabled by default, while newer ones have it disabled. I guess this is part of the evolution of IOS - in most networking environments, you do not want to see messages telling you a port goes up or down, since most ports are access ports, where users regularly connect and disconnect...

HTH,

GP

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Riccardo,

If "logging event link-status" is configured, then most likely, the logging level is configured for a severity that is not low enough to display interface changes.

you can verify this with the "show logging" command:

w250.01.06#show logging

Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 0 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes, 0 overruns)

Console logging: level debugging, 63 messages logged

Monitor logging: level debugging, 0 messages logged

Buffer logging: level debugging, 63 messages logged

Exception Logging: size (4096 bytes)

Trap logging: level informational, 47 message lines logged

You'll want to have your logging level set to at least severity 5, or "notifications"

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface

GigabitEthernet6/1, changed state to down

w250.01.06(config)#logging buffered ?

<0-7> Logging severity level

<4096-2147483647> Logging buffer size

alerts Immediate action needed (severity=1)

critical Critical conditions (severity=2)

debugging Debugging messages (severity=7)

emergencies System is unusable (severity=0)

errors Error conditions (severity=3)

informational Informational messages (severity=6)

notifications Normal but significant conditions (severity=5)

warnings Warning conditions (severity=4)

w250.01.06(config)#logging buffered notifications

HTH,

Bobby

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: