Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Linksys/Cisco Wireless Router slow tests!?

Here is one for ya...

Couple weeks ago comcast comes by cause I am not getting the speeds on my home broadband connection that I expected. When testing straight out of the modem we were getting 8mb down, bout 768up. Out of the wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) we were getting 2mb down and 384 up. Very strange, I checked all the forums and it seems everyone with this setup is having the same problem, lots of recommendations, but nobody had a true solution. So for grins today, I ran the same test here at work and noticed that at my desktop I am getting 10254 down and 9138 up, yet on the lappy with a 2200BG wireless intel card I am getting 2677 down and 4960 up. No, correct my math if I am wrong, but it looks like I am getting the exact same 25% of the pipe here that I get at home over the wireless. Anyone know what is throttling this? I have the AP's at aphis set at their highest speed to negotiate which is 54MB, yet I am still seeing a huge performance hit on the wireless network. Now, I have tested three different NIC's at home, so it is not the nic that is the issue, it seems to be something in the wireless world. Anyone want to take a crack at an answer?

1 REPLY

Re: Linksys/Cisco Wireless Router slow tests!?

Dealing with wireless you will never get the full through put advertised. What could be happening is the I^2R loss, The further you are away from the router the router automatically drops power to get max. efficency. It has preset limits along the lines of 54, 48,36,24,14,12,10,6 megs. It sounds like your router is only running around 14-24 megs despite what you set it at. Try setting the laptop right next to the router and test your speeds again, see if there's a difference.

Just a theory here, not gospel

Views
Helpful
Replies