cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS & how to discover non-cdp enabled network

jevgep
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to discover network without cdp protocol enabled ?

As far as I have understood if cdp doesn't work in the network, the only way to build ani.db

is to add network devices manualy through RME (add device) and than to import

RME db to ani.db

The question is : how to build ani.db in non-cdp network ?

5 Replies 5

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Campus Manager uses CDP/ILMI for dicsovery. Without running CDP/ILMI, Campus will not discover.

The question is: is there a way to build network topology scheme without using CDP? Is it possible to manually enter all the network devices and manually/semi-automaticaly build network topology for Campus Manager from these data? The problem is that we want to manage office routers, which are connected to HQ by telco equipment. Telco for sure will not give us SNMP/CDP access to their equipment. Is it still possible to build a topology for such kind of network or we are limited to just the list of devices without graphical representation of topology?

srego4
Level 2
Level 2

Once you have entered all your devices in RME go to Server Config > Setup > AniServer admin > Device sync > Syn from Essentials

If you have any layer 3 managemetn software running , you could export from that software to RME. and then to CM

First I have added all network devices, which I want to manage, manualy to RME

Than I have made synchronization from RME to ANI

But I havn't managed to do anything

Is there other solution you can offer ?

The most necessary thing is to get topology map of our network

As I have understod CiscoWorks have only one solution to discover network topology -CDP But as far as I know in other CiscoWorks bundles there is product that can build network topology without CDP only through SNMP ---> WhatsUP GOLD

As far as I get CDP is Cisco propriatory protocol. Does it mean that if there is another manufacturer`s device between Cisco devices then CiscoWOrks will not discover network topology ?

"The most necessary thing is to get topology map of our network "

Considering that you have a lot of routers at remote locations (going thru telco) the topology map that CW will give you will not be very good. It will not show you the links as a layer3NMS would.

As rmushaq has said CM needs cdp to discover. As for synchronizing from RME to CM .. I am not sure what it 's function is .. I thought I could export from RME to CM so that CM would not have to discover. there maybe others on this site who could shed some light on this. The only thing I have notices is if I do sync from RME to CM (this is after CM has found devices by itself) is that they get added in the snmp settings with the read & write strings.

Telco will shut down cdp on their sides (or not give access) but you could add teh devices manually in your seedfile. (not a very easy solution if you have lots of devices -- over 2 - 300 or more remote sites)

Depending on your network .... IF you have most of your devices at the HQ , then add a few key switches in your seed file. For all remote sites you will manually have to add one device (at least) for each site to the seedfile. You will need cdp enabled on all your devices. You can turn off cdp on the "interfaces" that are facing the telco equip.

to go to the seedfile > server config > discovery settings > add device or

go to the CW directory > etc/cwsi/aniserver.properties . here you can add teh devices you want where it says Discovery =

You must have cdp on tho. on your devices.