cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

load balancing and throughput ??

tonycarr
Level 1
Level 1

A theory question. If you have 2 identical 64Kbps serial connections between sites A & B. What would be the best method to get maximum bandwidth throughput.

1. Allow the routing protocol to load balance over the serial link.

2. Use MLPPP.

I know there are other ways to do this, but this is just a theory type question. Which option should give the maximum throughput as a rough percentage of 128K ?

regards

Tony

2 Replies 2

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

If I recall, MLPPP doesn't begin to fragment data for transmission until the first connection is at capacity. I'm not 100% certain of that but it makes sense from a toll perspective. You wouldn't want BRI 0 2 coming up until BRI 0 1 was saturated.

So I would guess that, all things being equal - which they aren't, per-packet load balancing would be the *most* even distribution of load.

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

I think per packet load balancing with CEF should get you pretty close, with the caveat that you may see out of order packets due to queueing and delay issues of various types.

I don't know much about mlppp, so I can't really answer there....

Russ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: