Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Balancing between Serial interface and ISDN

Has anyone tried to load balance a Serial interface and ISDN?

Any suggestions are welcome.

6 REPLIES

Re: Load Balancing between Serial interface and ISDN

Hi.

What routing protocol are you using? If you're using EIGRP you just add a variance command under the routing process. The Variance number will depend on what speed your links are. If you can give a little bit more info on the Topology of your network I can maybe help you out here... :-)

Its just a point-to-point connection. They are using a 64K lease line and ISDN as backup. The client asked if he can use the ISDN to give him additonal bandwidth. Currently it is using RIP.

Thanks.

Since RIP uses hop count you shouldn't have any problems load balancing. As long as the ISDN and the Serial terminate on the same router. Make sure the ISDN ip addresses are in the RIP Protocol configuration so that it send RIP updates across the ISDN and it'll load balance.

Cheers

Is there any way to use the ISDN as backup and use it to load balance at the same time without user intervention? The only thing i have come up with is backup interface and time based acl.

Ron

Gold

As long as the two paths are equal cost (bandwidth/delay, ospf cost, is-is cost, two statics, etc.), then this should work. If you do per packet load balancing, you will likely end up with out of order packets, which will probably hurt your performance more than it will help it, but using source/destination pairs in cef would be fine.

Russ

Thanks Russ. Is it possible to config the ISDN as Backup and for Load Balancing at the same time? Can I monitor the load of the serial port and after getting 75% load, use the ISDN to dial for load balancing?

The idea here is to use the ISDN as backup to the lease line and also to help in load balancing. I know it can do one or the other, but not sure about both at the same time.

Ron

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content