Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing between two ISPs

b.kona
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have cisco 2621 router. I have taken Internet service from two different ISPs.

And aslo i was given two different sub-nets of IPs, one from each ISP.

How can I use effectively use both the links and balance the load. Its something like multihoming. I do not want to run BGP as i do not have AS number. A suitable reply will be appricated.

7 Replies 7

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

As you ruled out BGP, you can use two static default routes (equal admin distance). This will load balance by default on a per-destination basis. If you want you can change it to per packet but that increases load on the CPU.

Hope it helps

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

But i have couple of questions

1. With two static default routes only outgoing taffic will be balanced, What about the incoming traffic.

2. which is better ? per destination or per packet balancing ?

thanx

kona

1. Static will only balance outbound traffic, not inbound. Even if you went with BGP you couldn't be guaranteed to load balance inbound, you can only increase your chances with playing with attributes like AS path. But the final decision is up to your providers on how traffic will enter your site (ie despite your as-path prepend they can force traffic one way or the other).

2. Depends. Generally, per destination is the way to go but if all your traffic goes to one site, it doesn't help. It's good if you have different sites that you go to. Per packet increases the load on CPU but has higher load balancing percentages.

To load balance out you can use static routes, to load balance in you can get a product that deals with DNS load balancing.

Hope it helps.

Steve

bhose
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This option will cost but you will be able to load balance traffic outbound AND inbound. Have a look at the Radware linkproof product.

Regards Brett

could you do the balance, between two Isp's??? How??

Hi Brett ,

As you said i am looking at a solution which will balance both IN & OUT traffic.

Can u give me some more detail on the product like their website.

Thanx

kona

Hi Kona,

Here are a couple of URL wit some information on the LinkProof product.

http://www.radware.com/library/whitepapers/linkproof.pdf

http://www.radware.com/content/products/link.asp

Good Luck