cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

load balancing for serial and ethernet

taquiahmed
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 links on my 1751 router one serial link connected to serial interface and the other is wireless link connected to ethernet port. How can I have load balancing between these two links, I will be use default routes for both the links.

6 Replies 6

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming CEF is enabled (should be by default), traffic will be load balanced between the two routes. By default CEF will do per session load sharing (source IP/Dest IP). If you want do find out which one of the two next hop is used by any src/dst address, use the following command:

show ip cef exact-route

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

As long as the routing protocol sees both routes as equal cost, and installs them in the routing table... You may have to adjust the delay, bandwidth, or cost on a serial link/ethernet link pair to get both routes installed in the routing table.

:-)

Russ.W

I'm assuming that he means static routes when he writes "default route for both links". I could be wrong though.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

yes I am using default routes

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0 192.168.196.93

ip route 0.0.0.0. 0.0.0.0 192.168.196.173

How do I adjust delay, bandwidth on serial/ethernet?

If you're using statics, you don't need to worry about it. If you're using eigrp, you use the bandwidth and delay commands under the interface configuration mode. For other routing protocols, you would use the metric configuration commands under the interface configuration mode.

:-)

Russ.W