Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Load balancing with two different link media (wireless and leased-line)

Hi,

I would like to know whether I could do a load balancing (and still using a same LAN IP) on my remote routers. I had Cisco 2621 router with two ethernet and one serial interface. Currently, this router is connected to wireless (backbone) network which goes back to our HQ. Our customer added another link to our router with a 128Kbps leased-line from their office to our HQ. Altogether we have two different link between our customer and us.

Below is our network diagram for your attention:

Customer HQ Office

(10.251.20.x)

/--------------[Wireless network]-------------------\

(10.8.1.x) / \

LAN----Cisco2621 Cisco3600 (Core)

\ |

\ | (10.250.251.x)

\-------------[128Kbps Lease-line]--------3COM NetBuilder router

(10.251.1.x)

My current default gateway is 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.251.20.1 (through wireless gateway) and another is 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.251.1.33 (through 128Kbps leased-line). My router do not have ip route-cache command available and the software version is 12.0(7)T. Am I able to do load-balancing on this router (Cisco2621) since ip route-cache is not available? By the way, we use static routing in this part of our network. Is it possible for us to use the same LAN IP without adding another separate LAN IP for our customer ? If we use this kind of network settings, how do we configure on our main core router in HQ? Any difficulties that might occur with this kind of setting ? Any suggestion or comment for this scenario?

Thanks !

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY

Re: Load balancing with two different link media (wireless and l

I’m not sure I follow your network topology, but the answer to load balancing : your 2621 has ip route-cache (fast switching) enabled by default and will not show up in configs. This causes per destination load balancing. The NO ip route-cache causes per packet (alternating) switching load balancing. Although I am not sure why you would want to load balance using wireless, you have to account for differences in bandwidth. IGRP/EIGRP do allow for unequal load balancing using variance command.

Hope this helps!

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.