Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Load balancing

Please help to do load balancing from one Cisco router 2620 to 2 remote locations. Here is our intended config on 2620:

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.1

Thanks for all comments.

7 REPLIES

Re: Load balancing

Are you having two wan links between the two locations ? The above routes should help you load balance. Additionally you can enable CEF ("ip cef" command) and also the following command under the serial interface.

int s0/0

ip load-balancing per-packet

int s0/1

ip load-balancing per-packet.

The above configuration is good if you are using only data. If you are using Voice over IP, the above is not a recommended configuration, because voice packets can come out of order before playout at the remote end.

Gold

I wouldn't use per packet load sharing at all, out of order packets will always cause problems, even for HTTP and FTP traffic.

:-)

Russ.W

Hi Russ,

Do you have any suggestion what should we do ? Thank you very much.

Duc Vu

Gold

Using two static routes would be fine, as long as you have corresponding statics on the other routers to direct traffic back. I do think your statics might be a little off, though:

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.1

Are you certain the IP addresses are in the 10.0.0.x range? Or are they really 10.1.1.x, or did you intend for the subnet mask to be 255.0.0.0 (which would be a lot of address space, and I'm not certain that's right, either).

Two statics like this will per source/destination address load share, which should be fine. It won't be "perfect," in that it won't make the links run 50%/50%, but it should do pretty good, and give you good application performance, as well.

Russ.W

Hi Russ,

The subnet 10.0.0.0 is just an example. Thank you for your help.

Duc Vu

Yes, we have two wan links to remote locations. About CEF, do we need certain IOS images ? thank you very much.

Duc Vu

Gold

CEF is the default switching path on every cisco router except some of the ones that have hardware switching paths, and the 800, which doesn't support CEF, if I remember right. As long as you're somewhere above 12.0 or so (or maybe it's 11.3), you should have CEF, and it should be enabled.

Russ.W

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content