cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load image with ROMMON Cat4000 Switch

ialston
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Catalyst 4006 switch that boot to ROMMON. I am trying to figure out ohow to load the image from my PC to the switch. Command from a ROMMON list are very limited. There is no TFTP or XMODEM or YMODEM to assit in uploading the image. Any ideas?

5 Replies 5

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to use the 10/100 MGMT port on the Supervisor. It is referred to as ME1 in ROMMON.

If you have a Sup2, the following document should help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/26.html#cat4k

If you have a IOS based Sup, use the following document

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/149.html

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you sure there isn't an image in bootflash ? If you do a dir bootflash at the rommon prompt do you see an image ? If so then just do a boot bootflash: . If it keeps booting into rommon it could be it just has an incorrect config register . They are normally 0xf for a register setting.

When I do a dir bootflash nothing is there. No image to boot.

the register is correct compared with other switches in my network.

I guess one question is why I don't have TFTP options in the commands or Y or X MODEM either.

Did you even look at the douments I pointed to in my previous post before inferring my post was "not helpful"(rating of 1). CAT4000 switches do not support XMODEM and you will need to use the 10/100 MGMT port to boot the image from a PC/laptop and then TFTP it. You are a network admin and have to put some effort as well and not just expect people to spoon feed you. So spend a few minutes to read the documents since they descrive on how to recover the switch when there is no image in the bootflash and post any follow up questions you might have.

Yes, i am dir bootflash show nothing. I will check the register setting.

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: