Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Load Sharing with IPX EIGRP

Hi all,

My network has one HQ and 4 BO. At HQ we have 3600 with T1s to BO and 4000 with 56K to BO.Main routed protocol is IPX. IPX servers each with 2NICs (one ethernet and one Token ring) connected to the 3600 and 4000 respectively through 2 different switches. Again 4000 Ethernet connected to same switch as 3600.At each BO we are using 2 routers each -one for T1 and another for 56K and server also connected same as HQ. Also both the routers connected back-toback. EIGRP is the routing protocol.

1.Some times when T1 goes down, it takes 5-10 Min., for the IPX to pass the traffic through 56K.

2. Is there any load sharing feature available for IPXEIGRP for this situation.

There is no IP or IPX duplicate addresses.

Please help me with this situation..

-Thanks a mil.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES

Re: Load Sharing with IPX EIGRP

First of all default IPX timers may add some delay.

Typically you'll have IPX SAP announcements every 60 seconds and a holdtime on those of 180 seconds. That alone adds up to several minutes.

You need to take a careful look at your EIGRP topology table ("sh ipx eigrp topology" and "sh ipx eigrp toplogy all-links") as it sounds to me you have a very complex topology. For EIGRP to give you rapid convergence without recomputation your routes need to have feasible successors. Otherwise EIGRP has to start a recomputation.

In addition you want to look for routes getting Stuck In Active (SIA) during recomputation. You can look for them using "sh ipx eigrp topology active" and in the router logs, as SIA events are logged.

SIA can lead to resets of neighbors in EIGRP and that will just expand your problem. Neighbor changes can be logged using the "eigrp log-neighbor-changes" under the "router eigrp" configuration.

There are a bunch of EIGRP tips at the EIGRP Technology Support Page:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/browse/psp_view.pl?p=Internetworking:EIGRP&s=Verification_and_Troubleshooting

Most of them are on IP but many tips apply to troubleshooting IPX EIGRP as well.

Re: Load Sharing with IPX EIGRP

Hi,

Thanks alot for your reply.There are no SIA on the routers. But what I observed recently was,

1. there is NO TOKENRING IPX network address configured on the 4000 (56K)router even though the TR interface of the router is connected to the same switch as the Novell servers TR NICs connected.Is this due to the reason that 4000 Ethernet connected same switch as to 3640 ethernet and the IPX is configured on that interface..?here is the conf...

3640 Ethernet IPX N/W:

ipx router eigrp 1

network FFEE (Ehternet side N/W)

4000 router conf:

interface Ethernet0

ip address 10.10.9.2 255.255.248.0

no ip directed-broadcast

media-type 10BaseT

ipx encapsulation SAP

ipx network FFEE

!

interface TokenRing0

no ip address

no ip directed-broadcast

ipx network FFFE

ring-speed 4

!

ipx router eigrp 1

network B1FB

network B2FB

network B3FB

network B4FB

network FFEE

(there is no FFFE here representing TR IPX N/W)

!

Does it makes any differnce or it only just to avoid the TR to pass through WAN..?

2. Is there any command to see the Feassible Successors table.. as what I can see only successors in the SHOW IPX EIGRP TOPOLOGY.

-Thanks in adavance...

Mehboob

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.