cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Local DLCI significance

brian.carlson
Level 1
Level 1

I have three routers that are partially meshed and have been assigned local DLCIs by the frame-relay provider, with one DLCI per PVC. I.e.:

Hub site: DLCI 100 to site 1

Hub site: DLCI 200 to site 2

Site 1: DLCI 101 to Hub site

Site 2: DLCI 201 to Hub site

So now the config looks like this:

Hub site:

int s0.1 multipoint

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

frame-relay interface-dlci 101

frame-relay interface-dlci 201

Site 1:

int s0.1 point-to-point

ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

frame-relay interface-dlci 100

Site 2:

int s0.1 point-to-point

ip address 1.1.1.3 255.255.255.0

frame-relay interface-dlci 200

Can I have the Local DLCIs assigned so that they are the same at the remote sites to ease troubleshooting? For instance, I would like to have all remote sites assigned DLCI 100 per the example above so that all remote sites are configured the same. If I end up adding 50 remote sites I don't want each site to be configured differently back to the hub site, I want each router to have the "frame-relay interface-dlci 100" statement. I think troubleshooting would be easier if I knew all sites were configured with DLCI 100 rather than a separate DLCI for each location. Is this possible, and what is the preferred method? Is one way better than the other?

2 Replies 2

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Its the carriers decison which dlci # to use. You can ask them, but don't bank on it. Its really not that big a deal, since that dlci number ends at the first f/r switch.

sbianchi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Brian,

you can ask to the FR provider to give you all the remote site dlci on the same number, as we request to have always the #16 on remote site.

For IOS/RTR point of view there isn't any difference. Sometime some FR provider aren't so flexible to do that.

good luck