Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Local router drops many pings when on a switch, none when on a slaved hub

I have an Ascend Pipeline that, when directly attached to a switch (along with other Pipelines that don't share the same problem); will time out like crazy. Almost every other packet. Then in groups of 5 or so successes/timeouts. If I attach it to a hub slaved directly off said switch, it never misses a response. These are all ISDN routers and the pings are to thier local 10mbps ethernet interface. The switch is 10/100 as is the hub. The problem only affects one of my routers. The cable is not the culprit, nor is the switch port (same result when attached to an identical switch).

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Local router drops many pings when on a switch, none when on

You don't mention what type of switch it is, but sometimes, a switch's autosense function is not reliable. Manually configure the switch to match the speed and duplex values of the Pipeline, probably 10 meg/half duplex.

Mark

The switch is a new Dell 2024 unmanaged switch. After doing some checking and understanding the symptom I suppose it has to be the duplex mismatch, but, again, I have tried it on multiple switches (same model) and multiple ports on a switch. This is the only one of my ascends ( all p50s and P75s) that has the problem. I guess that points me toward epiphany - I have one problem Pipeline router!.

Still wish I could understand why it reacts differently on the autosense switch port than on the autosense hub port. What is the switch needing to see that would make it react properly that the hub is seeing at the router ethernet port?

Thanks.

The problem could be the auto sensing between the switch and the router. Have you tried hard coding the speed and duplex settings on both sides? Also look for ethernet related errors on the switch or router interface. Any collisions, FCS errors, CRC erros or alignment errors could indicate a speed/duplex mismatch. Hope this helps.

Kevin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content