cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LocalDirector Routing Issues

tyler
Level 1
Level 1

Should machines behind a LocalDirector be able to see a LocalDirector virtual address, either its own or another virtual address?

For instance, if I have machines A and B load-balanced as virtual address A-B, and machines C and D load-balanced as C-D, should either A or B be able to see A-B or C-D? Currently we cannot, and I suspect a routing issue, but I want to make sure it's possible first.

4 Replies 4

b59048
Level 1
Level 1

The LDIR CANNOT do routing. If you have AB and CD

on different subnets, you need a router to do routing between the subnets. If you _do_ have a router, then define 'see' - e.g. do you mean ICMP ping or?

/Johnny

Oh, forgot, you can do semi-routing by giving the LDIR an alias address - use alias command.

Also, is you do not use the secure command, you

can use the LDIR as a bridge - e.g. if the AB and CD

systems are on different physical interfaces of the LDIR. Still need a router though, if on different subnets.

/Johnny

Thanks. Good information. All addresses are on the same subnet, and therefore I believe all are coming off the same interface as well.

What you have to consider then, is that you

cannot load balance on a single interface of an LDIR.

Traffic :has: to pass from one interface to another in order to do load balancing. However, you

should be able to ping any station in any case,

if you leave 'secure off' and have the proper

alias and corresponding failover alias addresses

defined.

/Johnny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco