Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

LOCKED OUT OF CATALYST 6500 SWITCH

I was trying to change the vty password on our Catalyst 6500 and used LOGIN LOCAL after the password xxxx command.

Now when i try to login it prompts for a username:

I have no valid username to supply.

I've also tried to login via console and it gives the same prompt.

How do i get past this login prompt or reset the switch back to its former pasword?

thanks.

3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: LOCKED OUT OF CATALYST 6500 SWITCH

I found a URL that explains how to do this.

You have to reboot the switch to fix it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007e721.html#1021838

Goodluck.

Bronze

Password recovery procedures should be able to resolve your problem but

unfortunately, as mentioned above, you will need to reboot the switch.

"login local" selects local password checking. Authentication is based on the username specified with the username global configuration command.

If you have only configured LOGIN LOCAL to "line vty", the "line console 0" shouldn't be affected.

You can either disable local password checking or add a username and

password with the username global configuration command. I usually don't use a password under line console as this will be my last resort once I can't get in to the device via telnet.

Hope this helps. Goodluck!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content