cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Logging authentication attempts to modem connected to AUX

aemr
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router acting as a terminal server with a modem connected to the aux port. I use it to reverse console to different devices on the network.

I would like to log authentication attempts through the modem... I am currently logging debug level to the buffer but I don't see any of the authentication attempts ever. What do I need to do to log these events?

Thank you,

Art

4 Replies 4

makchitale
Level 6
Level 6

Do you mean you want to see the debugs for user authentication in the logs? Probably the users are comming in using an exec session, what commands do you have under the line aux 0 , like login authentication xxx ?

Thanks, Mak.

I am using login local -- no aaa

thanks,

art

zahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What debugs are you logging to the buffers? It really depends on how the login attempts through the modem on aux are being made. If you are talking about PPP, then "debug ppp chap" or "debug ppp authen" should be logged to the buffers. If the logins are plain exec/shell type , then logging "debug aaa authen" to the logging buffers should do the job for you (if you are running AAA).

~Zulfi

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

To see the authentication attempts, you would need to turn on debugging for the authentication process which is being used. For example, if the dial ins are using PPP, you need to "debug ppp authentication." Note that this would only work until the next time the router was rebooted (or someone executed a "no debug all"). Debug requests are not kept as part of the startup configuration.

FWIW: The "correct" way to keep track of authentication attempts and usage is to use an AAA server (RADIUS or TACAACS).

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: