cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

logging event link-status

mattcisconet
Level 1
Level 1

Is this enabled by default on Cisco IOS switch ports? What logging level will ensure I see link status in the router buffer log?

5 Replies 5

thomuff
Level 3
Level 3

I have two things One is Configuring UDLD which is enabled globally by default.

I usually set my logging level to debugging=Level 7. You will definitely see it.

If you have the opportunity, start at the highest level and go down until you don't see the log messages anymore.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008031ff90.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801cdea7.html

Hope this helps

thomuff
Level 3
Level 3

Right after I sent my last post, I found this

Interface up or down transitions and system restart messages, displayed at the notifications level. This message is only for information; switch functionality is not affected.

mattcisconet
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

I'm wondering if link up/down status is enabled by default with log level notification and above, what is the purpose of configuring the IOS command "logging event link-status"...is this only to be used when the log level is lower than notification and you still want to see link-status messages? I'm a little confused about it.

logging event link-status global (global configuration)

To change the default switch-wide global link-status event messaging settings, use the

logging event link-status global command. Use the no form of this command to disable the link-status event messaging.

logging event link-status global

no logging event link-status global

Syntax Description

This command has no arguments or keywords.

Defaults

The global link-status messaging is disabled.

Command Modes

Global configuration

Command History

Release Modification

12.2(25)SG

Support for this command was introduced on the Catalyst 4500 series switch.

Usage Guidelines

If link-status logging event is not configured at the interface level, this global link-status setting takes effect for each interface.

Examples

This example shows how to globally enable link status message on each interface:

Switch# config terminal

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Switch(config)# logging event link-status global

Switch(config)# end

Switch#

Related Commands

logging event link-status global (global configuration)

logging event link-status (interface configuration)

To enable the link-status event messaging on an interface, use the logging event link-status command. Use the no form of this command to disable link-status event messaging. Use the

logging event link-status use-global command to apply the global link-status setting.

logging event link-status

no logging event link-status

logging event link-status use-global

Defaults

Global link-status messaging is enabled.

Command Modes

Interface configuration

Command History

Release Modification

12.2(25)SG

Support for this command was introduced on the Catalyst 4500 series switch.

so it looks like it is turned on by default on the interface configuration.