cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Logging RAS users on 3640 (not using AAA)

martin.kayes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 3640 with locally configured usernames and passwords. I need to find a way to log when users connect and disconnect their dial-up sessions.

I cannot move to a Radius/AAA solution and was wondering if anyone had found a way (or software app.) to do this using the logging features of a 3640 router?

Minimum output would need to have username, connect time and disconnect time.

Many thanks,

Martin

2 Replies 2

hbaerten
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Martin,

for ISDN calls, the %ISDN-6-DISCONNECT message contains the calling number, the username and the call duration.

For analog calls, if you configure "modem call-record terse" in global configuration mode, the router will log a message like this at disconnect time:

Dec 15 12:06:53.291 CET: %CALLRECORD-3-MICA_TERSE_CALL_REC: DS0 slot/contr/chan=2/0/0, slot/port=3/5, call_id=B1E, userid=XXXXX, ip=0.0.0.0, calling=55512345, called=55512346, std=V90, prot=LAPM, comp = V42bis init-rx/tx b-rate=26400/46666, finl-rx/tx b-rate=26400/46666, rbs=0, d-pad=(invalid#256), retr=0, rx/tx chars=375/181, bad=25, rx/tx ec=20/19, bad=0, time=38, finl-state=STEADY, disc(modem)=8220 Rx (line to host) data flushing - OK/EC condition - locally detected/received DISC frame -- normal LAPM termination

As you see this also includes the username and the duration.

If you also configure

"service timestamps log datetime msec [localtime] [show-timezone]" then the messages will be logged with a timestamp (like the one quoted above). That timestamp is your disconnect time, subtract your duration and you have the connect time.

hth

Herbert

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I need to be able to have this information logged on a sever (such as a syslog server) rather than on the console.

Is there any way to send this output to a syslog server (or any logging device)?

Regards,

Martin