cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LOGGING

spalislam
Level 1
Level 1

How can I see (through the console OR throught the VTY connection) the actual log result of logging?

I set logging buffered LEVEL, logging console LEVEL, logging monitor LEVEL and terminal monitor. However, I can't see the actuall LOG.

On 2924 IOS switches, you can do show logging and it shows you entire log since the last reboot. How do I do that on Router IOS? (latest version 12.3(1a)?

Thanks,

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

to enable logging

logging buffered xxxx debugging

the xxx is the size of the buffer

to see the log type sh log

after you enable logging clear the counters and you should see a log entry

View solution in original post

it looks like you are hitting a bug what code are you running , If you have logging synchronous configured remove it .

Have you tried "show logging" "show logging buffer"?

Also you've got traps enabled so you can also, if you have a trap host setup look at that hosts log file that should contain your traps.

Hope this helps,

Don

5 Replies 5

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

to enable logging

logging buffered xxxx debugging

the xxx is the size of the buffer

to see the log type sh log

after you enable logging clear the counters and you should see a log entry

I've done that. But the question is how can I see the actuall log and the messages. Sh log shows me the log configuration. If you look at the sh log output, it says there are 22 messages logged into buffer. How can I see them? What is the purpose of logging to the buffer, if I can't see the log?

TN-R1#sh log

Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 1 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes,

0 overruns, xml disabled)

Console logging: level informational, 22 messages logged, xml disabled

Monitor logging: level debugging, 0 messages logged, xml disabled

Buffer logging: level debugging, 22 messages logged, xml disabled

Logging Exception size (4096 bytes)

Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled

Trap logging: level notifications, 26 message lines logged

Log Buffer (4096 bytes):

it looks like you are hitting a bug what code are you running , If you have logging synchronous configured remove it .

Have you tried "show logging" "show logging buffer"?

Also you've got traps enabled so you can also, if you have a trap host setup look at that hosts log file that should contain your traps.

Hope this helps,

Don

Thank you guys. I found the problem. USER ERROR.

Everything was configured correctly. However, there was not traffic or events to be logged. I did not turn on the actual debug itself, and the system was functioning just fine by itself. Therefore, there was nothing to log.

Once I turned on different debugings, log just started piling up.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: