cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Logical Discrepancy - VTP domain

londint
Level 1
Level 1

Checking through the logical discrepancy on the CiscoWorks, I see 2 reports.

No VTP server in domain having at least 1 VTP client. This is true. We have a Switch in a remote site and this is not under the same domain as the main office. A show VTP status shows that

There is no VTP domain name and

the mode is client.

If I change this to server and give a name different from that of the main office, what effect on the network will this have? Can I do it during production hours? Or can I just leave it like it is?.

1 Reply 1

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

if I understand correctly, your remote switch is separated from the main office via a router. You can do anything you want with the remote switch VTP without any impact to main office in that case. VTP frames are sent only on trunk lines through VLAN1.

If you don't use VTP at all in the remote office simply set VTP mode to transparent on the remote switch and you don't have to care about VTP anymore.

If you want to use VTP on the remote site set the switch to server mode and give it a different domain name.

See VTP details in http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/21.html

Regards,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: