Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Looking at VLANS

We have 3 office branches.

The central office has about 200 nodes, and the 2 remote branches have about 20 each. The remotes are connected via Frame Relay, and we are currently bridging, but will be migrating to EIGRP routing.

I am unsure as to when a migration of our 200 node flat network in the central office to VLANS would be justifiable.

Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES

Re: Looking at VLANS

Depends on a number of factors:

- protocol used (IPX is more "chatty" and more broadcasts than IP)

- security concerns (place access-lists on vlans, or on private vlans)

- amount of traffic generated

- need for increased performance

- need for improved managability

I believe IPX networks shouldn't have more than 300 nodes in one subnet, while IP can have 500 nodes and I think Appletalk is 200 nodes. Again, this is a general rule and subject to your traffic pattern and amount of broadcasts.

But for your network size I don't think you need EIGRP, with or without vlans, static routing would work.

I would use vlans, based on department or user groups (acls if needed), and static routes.

Hope it helps.

Steve

We're running IP only.

We had a consultant in recently that said we were too small to use vlans, and I was curious as to whether he had a valid point or not.

The problem is that we do not have any real network monitoring hardware or software (sniffers, analyzers, etc), so I honestly don't know if we are actually experiencing broadcast storms, but I do know whe have a lot of netbios traffic.

You could argue either way, but I would do it for no other reason than dividing users based on depart/group and adding acls.

As for network monitoring, look into MRTG: http://mrtg.hdl.com/mrtg.html . Free software you can install and configure in one hour that lets you know which ports are doing what. If the network device has a MIB, MRTG can grab it. Great software that should help, and it's free.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Views
Helpful
Replies