cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopback Address

londint
Level 1
Level 1

I have run out of physical interfaces but have not used the loopback interface for anything yet.

I need an interface in a new network address. Can I give the lopback address an ip address in this new network and use it in a static route addressing - ip route ????.?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

easyzjj
Level 1
Level 1

surely you can.

Thanks. The only think is that the ip address is physically in a different vlan and the ip address I need is for yet another vlan. Is this still possible?

Thanks.

Each loopback interface requires a seperate subnet.

Hi,

I'm not sure if loopback address can help you to solve the physical interface lack problem.

You can define a loopback interface but you can't connect a network to it, it's just a virtual interface. You can use it for OSPF router ID (it never falls down) or for some testing purposes (if you need more networks configured on your router and check how routing info is spread into your network), e.g.

But I don't understand how could you route through it.

What is your plan in details?

If you just need to connect more IP networks to your router, why don't use secondary IP addresses (simple) or InterVLAN routing with 802.1q trunk connected to your router and subinterfaces configured on the router side?

Regards,

Milan