cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopback interface on a switch

dw1756
Level 1
Level 1

On our routers, we use loopback 0 (lo0) to monitor the router's state. We configure it with a unique IP address and 32-bit subnet (i.e. x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255).

However, can this be done on a switch like a 2950/24?

If so, since switches are not routers, how do you choose and IP address for the loopback?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

7rbowenii
Level 3
Level 3

d-

I do not believe loopbacks are possible on a layer-2 switch. This functionality would be supplied by the managment address on the switch. The loopback on the router allows you to identify it by a single address rather than one of its interfaces. if the e0 interface of your router is the one responding to snmp gets and syslog and then goes down, a different interface would then respond. Most NMS systems don't cope well with this.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

7rbowenii
Level 3
Level 3

d-

I do not believe loopbacks are possible on a layer-2 switch. This functionality would be supplied by the managment address on the switch. The loopback on the router allows you to identify it by a single address rather than one of its interfaces. if the e0 interface of your router is the one responding to snmp gets and syslog and then goes down, a different interface would then respond. Most NMS systems don't cope well with this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: