cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lost IOS on a 6509 RSP

pirate0zanzibar
Level 1
Level 1

While trying to change the IOS level on an MSFC I have inadvertantly removed he running IOS. I did manage to get the new version onto the Bootflash then removed the old version. It looks like i have now killed the RSP - the Module appears from the 6509 prompt but no 'session' is available to the router? Is there any way of getting the old IOS back or getting a new IOS on? Thanks

6 Replies 6

javentre
Level 1
Level 1

a "session" is essentially a telnet (via the eobc). If the MSFC doesn't come up, you can't telnet to it, so you'll need to get into it's console.

From the console (not a vty) of the supervisor type in "switch console" and that will put you into the console of the MSFC.

HTH.

James

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The following tech tip should help

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/124.html

That is excellent. But.... when i do a dir bootflash: the old IOS and the one which i hoped to replace it with both have Deleted in brackets after the filenames.

Can these be 'undeleted'?

Thanks

You should be able to if you haven't squeezed it yet . Just follow the undelete command in youir running IOS . If it is stuck in rommon when you switch console then that's a different story . I have never checked to see if the undelete is available under rommon .

Not from rommon. Do you have a bootldr image in the bootflash? If not XMODEM the bootldr image and undelete the files.

Much thanks for all the help - Finally fixed it by removing the Bootflash and installing another then starting from scratch but all suggestions extremely useful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: