Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Mac-address static in a 3500 model

Hi there,

I have a litle problem im implemeting a LNB (loading balacing) in a 3500.

Is a DMZ area but i need to implement a bit of security.So i created some mac-address statics like this

mac-address-table static abcd.abcd.abcd source-port destination-port

The problem is that when i make this all the ports with the same vlan of the destination port will receive the traffic,is any way to make a rule to send only to the destination port and not the vlan.

Regards,

Joaquim Vicente

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Mac-address static in a 3500 model

A Catalyst 3500XL running Cisco IOS release 11.2(8)SA6 or later are configurable to choose a link based on destination or source MAC address of the frame to be sent across the Fast EtherChannel. The default is to use the source MAC address. This means that all packets the switch receives on a non-Fast EtherChannel port with the same MAC source address that are destined to MAC addresses on the other side of the channel will take the same link in the channel. Source-based forwarding should be used when many stations attached to the Catalyst 3500 Switch are sending to a few stations on the other side of the Fast EtherChannel. This is so that traffic is evenly distributed across all links in the channel.

You can determine how a port that receives a packet forwards it to another port for transmission. Because all ports are associated with at least one VLAN, the switch acquires the VLAN ID for the address from the ports that you select on the forwarding map.

A static address in one VLAN must be a static address in other VLANs. A packet with a static address that arrives on a VLAN where it has not been statically entered is flooded to all ports and not learned.

For guidelines on configuring load balancing, you can refer:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc3/sc/swgports.htm#xtocid13

Views
Helpful
Replies