Views
Helpful
Replies

Mac-address-table static entry for multiple interfaces

smezache
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 4507R with IOS ver 12.1(12c)EW1. I want to map a mac-address to 2 different ports on the same switch and on the same blade. However, it appears that I am only able to map one mac-address to one port. here is the command I entered:

(conf)mac-address-table static 0001.0243.e6ce vlan 1 int gi5/44 (if entered another interface it is no longer a valid command).

on a 3550 with a newer IOS I am able to enter the same command and add another interface to the list of interfaces I want the mac-address to be mapped to:

(conf)mac-address-table static 0001.0243.e6ce vlan 1 int gi5/44 gi5/43

What do I need to do in order to make this work on the 4507R?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

May I know the IOS used in 3550?. Also, i think you may have to specify the maximum no of interfaces a mac address can be mapped to. But first let me know the IOS used in 3550.

jarathbu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

There is a fundamental architecture difference between the 2 platforms regarding the internal forwarding of frames. With the 3550 the notification packet is sent after a lookup and the results index can contain more than one entry where as with other architectures the results are limited to a single entry. Basically that is why you can configure an ARP entry to point to different ports on the 3550 versus other platforms.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: