cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

main and bootloader images

mark.weaver
Level 1
Level 1

can i use c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-2.E and c6msfc2-dsv-mz.121-8b.E15.bin on my msfc2 together when using cat6000-sup.6-1-1b.bin on a sup-1a-2ge.

I recently purchased an upgrade (c6msfc2-dsv-mz.121-8b.E15.bin) but i did not get a boot image with it, or do i need to buy a compatable boot image for this.

regards

mark

4 Replies 4

skarundi
Level 4
Level 4

The msfc2 doesn't need a boot-helper (c6msfc2-boot) if the main IOS image (c6msfc2-dsv) is in the MSFC2 bootflash. So you can have any type of boot helper in the MSFC2 bootflash.

In this case, keeping a boot image ( any version ) would be useful for recovering the main IOS image in case it is deleted accidentally by another admin.

Thanks for that, does this mean that if i have another image in slot0 that i would need a different bootloader image if i wanted to boot from that.

regards

mark

p.s. i may need to upgrade again shortly and the latest image will not fit in bootflash without erasing the bootloader as well and i do not really want to upgrade the bootflash - currently 16mb - unless i have to.

Yes. Use the c6msfc2-boot-mz.121-13.E11 or the latest boot image if you want to load a c6msfc2 image from slot0:.

There is a bug ( can't remember the bug ID ) where loading an image from slot0 will fail with older boot helper images. So that's why you use the latest one.

When looking at documentation and part numbers for images yesterday, most of the boot images were marked as not orderable. If not how do you get them, i cannot download them as i do not have a cco log in.

Should i just ask my supplier.

regards

mark