Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Making a Catalyst 6500 an ATM switch

I know a 6500 can act as a ATM switch, but what I want to know is: Is it going to route or is it going to switch? It's very important for me to know, because of the fact we absolutely don't want ATM routing. What I want is a redundant ATM ring of 3 locations with behind each location an IP network. Because if you want a redundant connection, I think you need to route and I don't want that.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Making a Catalyst 6500 an ATM switch

The 6500 cannot act as an ATM switch (route ATM cells from ingress to egress). It is only a UNI and never and NNI device. The 6500 series is a termination point for ATM connections only. I don't quite understand your 3 ring question, but assuming you mean you have 3 6500's connected to each other in a ring, with point to point ATM connections between each, this would work just fine.

Hope this helps,

Don

Views
Helpful
Replies