Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

MALLOCFAIL

hello

I have a problem with a cisco router 3600. Occasionally the cisco router blocking all packet and i must reboot the router, and when it come back up, it come in view a message error

(%CONTROLLER-5-UPDOWN: Controller E1 1/1, changed state to administratively down

%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 24 bytes failed from 0x6040AC34, pool Processor, alignment 0

-Process= "ISDN", ipl= 0, pid= 51

-Traceback= 60408658 6040A358 6040AC3C 600A4B3C 6008E21C 6008D920 6008DFFC 600A4

380 6007B9E4 6007B9B8

SYSTEM INIT: I

%CONTROLLER-5-UPDOWN: Controller E1 1/0, changed state to upNSUFFICIENT MEMO)

I must remove a cable attack to router and reboot the cisco router, and it work find.

Someone can help me?

Thank

4 REPLIES
Green

Re: MALLOCFAIL

It sounds like a memory leak.

Generally speaking, a memory leak is caused when some resource or process in the router allocates some memory for it's use ("MALLOC" is short for Memory Allocation") but doesn't return it, or doesn't return all of it.

Over some period of time, the pool of memory available gets smaller and smaller (or, more likely, framgmented - the memory is there, but in such small chunks that it can't be used ... not a contiguous block) until some process needs some memroy and can't get it.

That's what the line "%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 24 bytes failed from 0x6040AC34, pool Processor, alignment 0 " is indicating.

When you reboot the router, you reset everything back to "brand new" and the leak process starts all over again.

The usual solution is to update/change your IOS.

Good Luck

Scott

Community Member

thank so much,

i try to change IOS

Community Member

Sorry,

but it normal that i must remove a cable and restart the cisco router and then attach the cable to router?

Because if i don't do it the router don't start.

P.S

Sorry for my horrible english

Green

It's certainly still possible that the WIC/interaface is defective (seeing a signal from the cable and causing some hardware event, or holding the communication bus).

Most often, MALLOC errors tend to be memory leaks, especially if the crashes tend to occur on a schedule.

Try the IOS update, if the problem persists, then the WIC would probably be the next most likely suspect.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content