cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Manage two subnets with one vlan?

don_lahnum_jr
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to manage two subnets with one vlan?

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sure.. Just use secondary IP addresses under the L3 interface for the VLAN. However, this is not a recommended design.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Donald

I am not sure that I fully understand your question. One VLAN represents one broadcast domain. In the traditional way of understanding it, a subnet is also defined as a broadcast domain. If you want to treat the subnet in the traditional way such that members of one subnet can not communicate directly with members of the other subnet but must go through a router to get between subnets, then no you can not have two subnets in the same VLAN.

On the other hand if you are asking if it is possible to configure addresses from two different subnets within one VLAN then it is possible to configure it. But the end stations would be able to communicate directly with each other without needing to go through a router. So yes you could do it, but the results might not be what you want.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ok, my question is this. How do you manage devices that are on different subnets (preferably in the same management group)?