cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Managing Broadcast Traffic

phampton
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network with several clients who should have been subnetted long ago but were not, and several terminal servers all plugged into a hub, which in turn, plugs into the 2611. Broadcast traffic is really bogging things down. I am replacing the hub with a Catalyst 2900 switch. Do I need to take any particular steps to get rid of the broadcast traffic or will subnetting these clients and placing them in separate VLAN's be enough?

4 Replies 4

noc
Level 1
Level 1

are the clients going to be reaching the terminal servers located in their vlan / subnet ? or are you

going to have the 2611 route between the vlans / subnet to reach a "terminal server vlan/subnet.

a consideration would be keeping lan traffic local between terminal server and clients, or if you dont have that many users you can just proceed as planned

The terminal server won't enter into this one (much). These people have a direct connection to the internet via our TI and the lan hub they are plugged into. Present configuration, both local lans, the terminal server and two local computers are all plugged into the hub which plugs directly into the ether port on the 2611 and goes out to the internet via CSU WIC card. All are on the same Class C. I plan to subnet them. Should I then place them on separate VLANs or a single VLAN going to the ether port on the router?

Thanks!

Dear Friend,

Seeing yr newtork terminology, I feel breaking up the collision domain by replacing hub with switch will solve many of your problems, a cisco 2924 switch is advisable.And if u r that particular about subnetting ,I will suggest u to subnet the clients connected to your T1 and leave the terminal servers and local hosts as it is.But after this u have to add required routes for the new subnets to work in your 2611 router.

Regards,

Homin

Many thanks! I do in fact have a 2924 and will install it this week. Your help is much appreciated!

Pat