Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

manipulating rip acquired default routes

I have a router that has no static default route. I would like for this router to get its default route via rip. Problem is, I am getting a total of three default routes. I would like to give one preference, then have a second in case the first is not available and I don't ever want to use the third. I wasn't sure how to do this so I used the following command:

router rip

distance 125 A.B.C.D 0.0.0.0 (using IP of prefered secondary router)

distance 255 X.X.X.X 0.0.0.0 (using IP of router I dont want to use)

In this way my preferred default route shows up with distance 120. If that one disappears then the second shows up and so on. This seems to be working but I keep thinking that it is kind of ackward. Is there a more "elegant" way of doing this?

Thanks,

Diego

2 REPLIES

Re: manipulating rip acquired default routes

Hi Diego,

Not sure of your topology, but you'd probably find conditional default origination a more elegant way of doing this. This uses the default-information originate [route-map map-name] command on the gateway routers (say Router A and Router B)

The idea of the conditional default origination (with the correct configuration in each device) is that Router A will only announce the default pointing to Network D if it's link to Network D is ok. Router B will announce the default pointing to Network D if it doesn't receive it from Router A.

This may be a better solution as this would be the default for all the routers participating in the RIP process.

Also, you mention above that you don't want to use the third router, and with admin distance of 255 you won't. I believe the router will ignore routes with 255 distance. So you probably only have two gateways.

Best regards,

Michael.

Re: manipulating rip acquired default routes

Sounds pretty cool. I have seen this command before but I don't quite understand the concept. I will have to bone up on this command. I will look for some config examples.

Thanks,

Diego

Views
Helpful
Replies