cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Many to Many Multicast

anthony.f
Level 1
Level 1

Currently, we are using a system similar to an IP hoot and holler. It is made by ETC and uses a voice gateway. I can include a diagram if nec. The issue is that NOW, across the local and wide area, instead of a one to many situation, we need to have a many to many multicast situation. Kind of like a voice “Party line.” My question relates to the router [6500 MSFC] configuration needed. First of all, can cisco equipment support this ‘idea.” Secondly, I can attach the current configs but the question is how do we modify them? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

7 Replies 7

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

As long as the multicasts are using standard groups (224.x.x.x - 239.x.x.x) and the routers are enabled for multicast routing / PIM / whatever, you should be OK.

Just be mindful of your available bandwidth.

Good Luck

Scott

Yes. I am going to add some attachments for you.

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

I think you are looking for Bi-directional PIM.

check the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/himc_c/chap05/mcbbasic.htm#wp1080866

Benefits of Bidirectional PIM

•Bidir-PIM is designed to be used for many-to-many applications within individual PIM domains. Multicast groups in bidirectional PIM mode can scale to an arbitrary number of sources without incurring overhead due to the number of sources.

HTH,

if it does, please rate my post.

Vlad

I definitely will!!!! Thanks in advance!!

you're welcome,

dont forget to rate helpfull post.

Vlad

Hi Vlad. I have scheduled a "window" to test BUT the document you recommended was GREAT. The application is made by a company called "ETC." Their product is called 'wave' I rated your post... Have you heard of this?

Hello Anthony.

Thanks for the rating, but as a matter of fact the only time Ive seen multicast applications running was on a lab, testing my own configs (besides intra-network-devices multicast of course).

vlad