Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max CAT5 run for DS1 bandwidth and speed retention?

I've searched the entire TAC site for concrete information regarding the max cable length a tech can utilize, when installing a set of RJ-45/RJ-45 patch panels. Know to use STP, (what guage is appropriate) in order to extend DS1/DS3 signal viability. Why not use fiber? We'll probably do that in the end, but this question nags at me still and I cannot find the answer. Surely this was done before the implementation of fiber, years ago...Does anyone know for sure and can you point me to the authoritative source? Thanks.

2 REPLIES

Re: Max CAT5 run for DS1 bandwidth and speed retention?

The rule of thumb for CAT 5 UTP is 100 meters maximum. Definitely use fiber for any greater distance run.

Re: Max CAT5 run for DS1 bandwidth and speed retention?

You're really talking apples and oranges here. The Cat5 'standard' is for transmission of the signals coming out of telecommunications equipment. It states that you can transmit 100mbs up to 100 meters safely. The DS-1/DS-3 stuff is something else. It really depends on whether you've conditioned the signal with a DSU/CSU or not and what the end equipment is. If it's signal is unconditioned, the signal (on good wire) can travel somewheres around 1000 feet. If you have repeaters, about 6,000 feet. Please see http://www.dcbnet.com/notes/9611t1.html for a short explaination on what you 'think' you're asking for. Note: If you are putting 'other' things on your 110 patch panels, like DS-1 modems, etc, please make sure you have the correct grounding and power level settings. Yes, some people just 'max' everything, and hope for the best. Gee this is confusing, but let me recap.

A 110 Cat5 patch panel is set up to run networking equipment using the Cat5 spec/standard and eia-568 standards.

A generic RJ-45 patch panel can be setup to do whatever 'you' want it to be. http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/information-cat5.htm . It depends on the end equipment. If you're looking for standards, you must search the web on ds-1 specs, the specs of your end equipment, and perhaps, specs on dsx patch panels. Because if you're doing telephone DS-1 switch work, dsx is the standard way to do that sort of thing. I can bet that the reason this 'nags' at you, is because you really need a 'clear' requirement. Every step of the WAN has differing requirements for it to work. Networking equipment usually follows some form of CAT3/4/5 standard in the building where you're at, so that you 'know' 100 meters is the set length when you are designing the 'plan'. However, DS-1/DS-3 transmission equipment is dependent on other requirements, signal formats, voltages, wire gauge, etc, and you really need to know what 'side' of the equipment you're talking about. The transmission side or the equipment side. The problem is that if you extend your CAT5 cabling over 100 meters so that you can run that DS-1 modem just a little bit further, you've just exceeded the spec for CAT5. Although your DS-1 modem works fine, your networking stuff just went south. So, now you see why you need to be careful on what you're asking for.

I'm sure I've just confused you more. But take your question apart and search on each piece, and I'm sure you'll find exactly what you are looking for:

1. RJ-45

2. DS-1

3. DS-3

4. DSX

5. EIA-568

6. CAT5 standard

Keep asking questions, this is the only way you will learn.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content