cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Max. of groups using HSRP

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

Anyone out there who knows the maximum number of HSRP groups that I can have on a single router? I have a combination of Cat4K6 L3 routing module and a 3662 router. If you could also be kind enough to show me the link to the appropriate documentation. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Vincent

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

To the extent that each HSRP group is to be assigned a unique MAC address (the normal mode of operation because too many boxes ignore gratuitous ARPs), the limit is 3 on 802.5 token ring and 256 on other media (see page 13 of RFC 2281).

Many older Cisco routers (such as the 4xxx and 25xx) only support a single HSRP group due to hardware limitations (search CCO for "HSRP and Lance").

As always, your mileage may vary...

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

To the extent that each HSRP group is to be assigned a unique MAC address (the normal mode of operation because too many boxes ignore gratuitous ARPs), the limit is 3 on 802.5 token ring and 256 on other media (see page 13 of RFC 2281).

Many older Cisco routers (such as the 4xxx and 25xx) only support a single HSRP group due to hardware limitations (search CCO for "HSRP and Lance").

As always, your mileage may vary...

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com