Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Max. of groups using HSRP

Anyone out there who knows the maximum number of HSRP groups that I can have on a single router? I have a combination of Cat4K6 L3 routing module and a 3662 router. If you could also be kind enough to show me the link to the appropriate documentation. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Vincent

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: Max. of groups using HSRP

To the extent that each HSRP group is to be assigned a unique MAC address (the normal mode of operation because too many boxes ignore gratuitous ARPs), the limit is 3 on 802.5 token ring and 256 on other media (see page 13 of RFC 2281).

Many older Cisco routers (such as the 4xxx and 25xx) only support a single HSRP group due to hardware limitations (search CCO for "HSRP and Lance").

As always, your mileage may vary...

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Max. of groups using HSRP

To the extent that each HSRP group is to be assigned a unique MAC address (the normal mode of operation because too many boxes ignore gratuitous ARPs), the limit is 3 on 802.5 token ring and 256 on other media (see page 13 of RFC 2281).

Many older Cisco routers (such as the 4xxx and 25xx) only support a single HSRP group due to hardware limitations (search CCO for "HSRP and Lance").

As always, your mileage may vary...

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content