Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Max. # of hops

TTL is 8-bit, but this does not mean that the IP packet goes from source to destination by 255 hops. Thus, what is the max. # of hops that the IP packet traverse from the source to the destination.

Remeber that a packet goes from source to destination passing through all types of routers and protocols.

if you support your answer with a reference, that would be great.

Many thanks

Dr. Abdullah

3 REPLIES

Re: Max. # of hops

Hi,

The TTL field in IP is really that simple. It does count off each hop (or router) that the packet passes through. The TTL field will also be decremented for every 1 sec (approx.) it sits in a router buffer. The TTL field is often not set at a max of 255 by the vendor. Microsoft used to set it as low as 32, I am not sure what the default is now but I do know that it is configurable via the registry.

I hope that helps.

Sorry I don't have references, but there are plenty of books and should be able to find something on the Cisco web site with a simple search.

Microsoft now recommands 128 hops

Dr. Abdullah

The windows 2000 now supports 128 hops. This accourding to our findins in the class is realt depends on the router. Cisco recommands 255.

The trace command or tracert in windows 2000 will show you the hops and the TTL

Views
Helpful
Replies