Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum number of Frame Relay DLCIs supported on VIP cards

etamara
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco 7500 router with an HSSI interface ( PA-H ) within a VIP2-40 card. The interface is configured with 380 frame relay point-to-point subinterfaces, and the figure is expected to grow in the future. I´ve been checking any info regarding practical limits for Frame Relay subinterfaces supported on an interface or VIP card.

What I´ve found is that the theoretical 1000 DLCIs ( coming from the DLCI address space ) is not possible due to MTU limitations ( LMI status updates must include info regarding all DLCIs ), which for an HSSI interface implies a lower limit of 890 DLCIs.

However, some notes indicate further restrictions depending on features, performance requirements and so on.

Since we are using dLLQ + dTS for each point-to-point subinterface, I guess the practical limit is even lower. Does anybody know, from your personal experience, anything about this?

Thanks,

Enrique

1 Reply 1

jolmo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Enrique

This could help: "Maximum Number of Interfaces and Subinterfaces for Cisco IOS Platforms: IDB Limits"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a0080094322.shtml

This document tells you about maximum number interfaces based on hardware/software configurations.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: